Government of Western Australia

I need help

  • Talk to a family member or friend – telling someone that you’re feeling depressed or even suicidal is incredibly difficult and is a brave step to make. Don’t feel you have to wait for the ‘right moment’ to bring it up – your friends or family will probably be glad you mentioned it to them even if it felt like an awkward time.
  • Go to your GP – even if you use the same GP as the rest of your family, your doctor can’t share your information with them. If you’re worried about your family’s reaction to how you’re feeling, then your GP can be a good person to start to talk to. They can assist you in creating a mental health plan that may entitle you to a Medicare rebate on certain mental health services.
  • Phone the Youthbeyondblue 24 hour line on 1300 22 4636 or access their online chat and information.
  • Visit or call a Headspace centre. Headspace employs professional counsellors and doctors trained in mental health, and can give you someone qualified and confidential to talk to.
  • Visit or call Youth Focus on (08) 6266 4333 to access counselling for mental health issues.
  • LGBTI young people can phone QLife  on 1800 184 527 for counselling that supports people of diverse sex, genders and sexualities.
  • The Freedom Centre helps young people of diverse sex, genders and sexualities with peer support, workshops, social events and a drop in centre in Northbridge. Phone: (08) 9482 0000 or (08) 9228 0354.
  • True Colours offers regional support for young people and their families, and operated from Bunbury.
  • Talk to your guidance counsellor at school, or a counsellor at university.

Web Design by Media on Mars