Recovery down the track
As our grief eases, many of us wanted to do something to help others. We needed something positive to come from our loss.
What we’ve learnt can help make a difference to others.
Some ways we found to do that:
- Join ARBOR, Lifeline, Samaritans and volunteer our time to support others
- Share our experience with others when it feels OK to do so. This helps to shift the stigma about suicide and encourages others to share their experiences.
- Learn about services available to help others and share this
- Get involved in the communities our loved ones were involved with
- Learn more about the issues behind suicide: why are our Aboriginal people at such risk? Why are young Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex people at increased risk?
- Attend training in mental health awareness and suicide prevention
- Make a donation or bequest to support suicide prevention or another cause that’s important to us
- Write a story or a book, make a video, draw or paint your experiences