Recovery can take time. Learning to live with a mental health condition can be challenging but there are some practical things you can do to help yourself get better and stay well.
- Be healthy. Get enough sleep, avoid harmful levels of alcohol and other drugs, eat well and exercise regularly.
- Reduce and manage your stress levels.
- Recognise your trigger signs. These are situations or events that can bring on a mental health episode such as financial difficulties, relationship problems, changing or losing a job, having health problems or using alcohol or other drugs.
- Learn what your own warning signs are. For example, reflecting on past experience, you may have found you began to have disturbed sleep, withdraw socially, feel irritable, stressed or teary, eating unhealthily, or find it hard to concentrate.
- Learn how to get over setbacks without relapsing.